Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report

The kinds of Special Educational Needs and Disability for which provision is made at the school.

Brune Park Community School is a large, mainstream secondary school. The school is supportive and inclusive and aims to meet the needs of all students with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND).

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special education needs?

At Brune Park Community School students are identified as having SEND through a variety of ways including the following:

* Liaison with primary schools for transition in Year 6.

* Liaison with previous secondary school, if relevant.

* In house testing using a range of tests to establish reading and spelling ages.

* Whole school screening tests for reading.

* Specialist assessments as determined by the Special Education Needs and Disabilities Co-Ordinator (SENDCo), using a range of tests to identify areas of weakness.

* Academic monitoring within departments.

* Concerns may be raised by a student’s teacher / parents and or carers / students.

* Liaison with external agencies, e.g. Health, as appropriate.

How will I raise concerns if I need to?

* Talk to us – first contact your child’s Tutor, Year Office or the SENDCo.

* To achieve academic excellence, there needs to be open lines of communication with parents/guardians and we encourage parents/guardians to keep the school up to date with any changes in circumstances and alert the school to any concerns in a timely manner.

How will the School support my child?

Who will oversee, plan and work with my child and how often?

* The Senior Leadership Team, SENDCo, Year Team and Inclusion/Student Support Team oversee all support and progress of any student requiring additional support across the School and this is monitored termly.

* The subject specific class teacher will plan and work with every student with SEND in their class to ensure that progress is made; this will be monitored by the Subject Leader and Line Manager for every department.

* There may be a Learning Support Assistant (LSA) working with your child either individually or on a one to one programme or as part of a group as determined by the SENDCo.

Who will explain this to me?

* The subject specific class teacher will meet with parents/guardians at parents’ evening to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress.

* The SENDCo, Tutor and Year Leader are available by appointment throughout the academic year.

How are the Governors involved and what is their responsibility?

* Senior staff report to all Governors on a regular basis.

* There is a named Governor with responsibility for SEN, who meets regularly with the SENDCo. They also report to the Governors to keep them informed.

* The Governors agree priorities for spending within the SEN budget with the overall aim that all children receive the support they need in order to make progress.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

What are the School’s approaches to differentiation and how will that help my child?

* All class teachers plan in advance so that the work is at an appropriate level so that all students are able to access the work according to their needs. In some cases the work may be specific to the individual: for a visually impaired student, for example, there may be enlarged text, for a dyslexic student, coloured overlays and specific font type may be used. Teachers are supported by the SENDCo to make appropriate differentiation for students with SEND.

How will I know that my child is doing well and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress?

* We offer an open door policy where you are welcome to make an appointment to meet with key staff at any time to discuss how your child is getting on. In addition, we can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.

* If your child is on the SEN register they will have a Student Profile which will give teachers strategies for supporting your child and detail the provision they are receiving.

* Your child will have subject specific targets either set with their teacher or relevant to the intervention.

* If your child has an Education Health and Care plan (EHCP) a formal meeting will take place annually to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written.

How does the school know how well my child is doing?

* As a school we measure student’s progress in learning against national expectations and age related expectations.

* Students who are not making expected progress are identified through class analysis by the subject class teacher and Subject Leader, alongside academic checks at termly assessment points by the Year Leader and SENDCo.

* Progress in interventions received by students with SEND is monitored by the SENCo to ensure that the student is receiving an appropriate intervention to meet their needs.

* Teachers are made aware of any interventions a student with SEND is having and will be asked to monitor the impact in the day to day classroom setting.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well being?

What is the pastoral, medical and social support available in the School?

* We are an inclusive school: we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that students need to be resilient with high self-belief to ensure their well-being. We have a committed, caring staff, who want the very best for each and every one of the students at Brune Park Community School.

* We operate a House system at Brune Park Community School which provides students with healthy competition and a sense of belonging. This is linked to our Foundations of Learning which are our school values.

* Your child will also be placed in a Tutor group.

* Your child’s Tutor is the first port of contact for any concerns or communications. In addition the year offices can offer further support and advice.

* The school provides emotional support under the direction of the SENDCo. The school employs trained ELSAs.

* The school accesses counselling provision through the Moving on Project/IFS Programme.

* We have a student voice and trained peer mentors.

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

* The school has a first aid policy.

* The school employs staff qualified in first aid.

* Risk assessments are routinely used so that all staff are able to manage medical conditions.

* Parents need to contact the school if medication is recommended by health professionals to be taken during the school day.

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

* As a school we have a very positive approach to supporting behaviour.

* If a student has social, emotional or mental health issues, these are identified with parents and relevant support is put in place. Referral to outside agencies for additional support may be requested.

* After any behaviour incident students are encouraged to reflect on their behaviour with key adults in order to help identify why the incident happened and devise strategies to avoid a similar situation happening again.

* Attendance of every student is monitored by the attendance team.

* Parents are informed if a student has not arrived in school.

* The School issues penalty notices if attendance continues to cause concern.

How will my child be able to contribute their view?

* We have a House and School Council which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised. This enables students to have a positive contribution to improving school life.

* Your child can raise any issues with their Tutor or Year office team.

* Students will be invited to share their views for the Annual Reviews of EHCPs.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

* All students are included in all parts of the school curriculum and this is the same for school trips off site.

* A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety will not be compromised.

* A range of extra-curricular activities are offered after school and students with SEND are encouraged to take part according to their individual interests.

* Students with SEND who may find break times difficult have access to the ACE room where staff are on hand to support them.

* A breakfast club is provided, by invite to support students struggling with the early morning routine of secondary school.

* A homework club is offered by the Inclusion/Student Support team Monday to Thursday from 2.45 to 3.30 to support students with SEND.

* A range of study clubs are also run after school by staff to support students.

What specialist services and expertise are available?

* Our SENDCo is experienced and accredited.

* We work closely with County Advisors in areas such as Communication and Language, Visual and Hearing Impairment and Physical Disability.

* We work closely with any external agencies that we feel may benefit your child including GPs, school nurse, CAMHS, Locality Team, Educational Psychologist (EPs) and voluntary organisations such as MOTIV8.

* We also access Outreach from special schools such as Baycroft, Lord Wilson School and the Key, when the need arises.

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are currently having?

* Our SENDCo, Deanne Coombs, is a qualified teacher and has many years of experience as a SENDCo. She can be contacted on 02392 616000 Ext: 216.

* We have 3 members of staff trained as ELSAs who provide students with support in terms of emotional awareness, social skills and friendship skills, anger management, loss, bereavement and family break up and self-esteem. They receive regular support from the EP service.

* The SEN department continues to access training offered by the Local Authority.

* The teaching staff have regular training on supporting students with SEND via County Specialist Advisor and the SENDCo.

How accessible is the School environment?

* The school site is not fully wheelchair accessible. There are ramps at specified fire exits and ground floor accommodation can be provided for a number of areas. There are 4 accessible toilets.

* 1 Accessible Changing room with elevator bed, hoist and shower.

* 1 Accessible ‘Oxford Dipper’ hoist for swimming pool access.

* There are 2 disabled parking bays.

How will the School prepare and support my child when joining the School?

* All prospective students are encouraged to visit the School with parents and guardians; this can be through planned transition from Year 6 or by arrangement with the admissions team.

* Primary transition is arranged in the summer term, with close liaison with all the primary schools. We visit Year 6 students in their School and for the students with additional needs further visits to Brune Park Community School are arranged.

* We also aim to attend Annual Reviews that the primary feeders inform us of for Year 5/6 students.

* We liaise closely with colleagues when receiving students with SEND, or when transferring students to different school, to ensure that all paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.

How are the School’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

* We ensure that all students who have special educational needs are met to the best of the school’s ability with the resources available.

* We have a team of LSAs who support students in class and deliver programmes designed to meet the needs of SEN students.

* The resources are allocated on a needs basis. The students who have the most complex needs are given the most support often involving regular support of an LSA or intervention work with an LSA.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

* The SENDCo will decide the most appropriate support/intervention programme to match the needs of each student with SEND.

* Access arrangements to enable students with SEND to access public examinations is based on students meeting specific criteria in accordance with the guidelines produced by the Joint Council for Qualifications.

* There will be continued discussion with parents.

How do we know if it is has had an impact?

* The student is making progress academically against national/age expected levels/grades and is achieving to the best of their potential.

* Verbal and written feedback from subject specific class teacher, LSA, parent and student indicate the student is making progress.

* Review meetings will discuss/identify progress.

How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to a new setting or to the next stage of education and life?

* If the student has an EHCP, transition planned this will be discussed at the review meeting.

* We liaise with colleges to advise them of any SEND, the support we have had in place and any access arrangements for examinations.

* We discuss with students their goals and support them in applying for college placements.

Who can I contact for further information?

* First point of contact will be your child’s Tutor, Head of Year and/or Deputy Head of Year.

* You can contact/meet the SENDCo.

* The SENDCo, Tutor and Year Leader are available by appointment throughout the academic year.

* Contact Support4SEND –


* Contact IPSEA (Independent Parental Special Education Advice) – www.ipsea.org.uk

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the School?

* Contact the School admissions team to arrange a visit to the school. The SENDCo/School Leadership Team will willingly discuss how the school can meet your child’s needs.

What steps should I take if I have a concern about the school’s SEND provision?

* In the first instance, please address any complaints to either the SENDCo, Head of Year or Head of Department who will investigate your complaint and endeavour to reach a satisfactory outcome.

* If you feel that your complaint has not been satisfied, please follow the School’s complaint procedure. This can be found here.

Where can I get further information on where the Local Authority’s Local Offer is published?

* This can be found on the Hampshire County Council’s Local Offer page. This document forms part of the SEN information as outlined in the Local Offer.

Reviewed April 2018

Contact Info
  • Brune Park Community School, Military Road, Gosport PO12 3BU
  • (023) 9261 6000
  • enquiries@brunepark.gfmat.org