At Brune Park we want every child to achieve beyond what they may have previously thought possible.
To achieve this students need excellent attendance, and to be punctual to school and to every lesson.
We have a dedicated attendance team who support students, families and staff across the school by;
raising the profile of the importance of excellent attendance and punctuality at all times
having high expectations for excellent attendance and punctuality for all
helping students and their families to have, and to meet these high expectations
helping staff across the school in their work in supporting students and their families have, and meet these high expectations.
Regular school attendance is an important part of giving a child the best possible start in life. We recognise the key role parent and carers play in supporting their child have high expectations of themselves with attendance and punctuality, and putting in the support with routines at home to secure these high expectations are met.
Excellent attendance is a key life skill; being in school every day, being on time to school and lesson each time supports youngsters settle into the routines and expectations of school, and later the world of work, it means youngsters keep up to date with all of their learning and achievements and build the skills that they need to be the very best that they can be.
The role parents and carers have in enabling excellent attendance and punctuality include:
• Establishing good routine in the mornings and evenings so that everything is ready for school, and the youngster is prepared and ready for the school day ahead
• Expecting attendance to school every day
• Ensuring everything is in place to support your child arrive at school in good time for the first bell
• Talking to your child about school, taking an interest in their school work, praising and rewarding their positive efforts, and their achievements in school
• Arranging any dental and medical appointments outside school hours
• Taking family holidays outside term time
• Discussing any problems or difficulties with the school – staff are here to help, will be supportive and can help solve any problems you may have in getting your child to go to school.
Parents and carers must always inform the school on the very rare occasion when your child is too unwell to attend school.
Promoting Good Attendance
The foundation for good attendance is a strong partnership between the school, parents and the student. To support this focus we:
The Attendance Team work alongside Tutors and the Year Offices to support students achieve excellent attendance, and consistently monitor students’ attendance and punctuality. If attendance falls below the expected levels, colleagues with an expertise in ‘attendance support’ work with the young person and their family.
A range of strategies are deployed to support improvements in attendance and include:
If you need support or advice with attendance, please contact us at school – we are here to help and support.