For a child to reach their full educational achievement a high level of school attendance is essential.
At Brune Park we want every child to have every opportunity to achieves to their full potential; we stress the importance of excellent attendance and punctuality at all times, and have very high expectations for excellent attendance and punctuality.
Did you know?
Attendance really counts
Regular school attendance is an important part of giving your child the best possible start in life. We value parent and carers ensuring excellent attendance to Brune Park School so that youngsters are able to settle into the routines and expectations of school, keep up to date with all of their learning and achievements and build the skills that they need to be the very best that they can be.
Parents and carers can help with ensuring excellent attendance in a number of ways:
• Establish a good routine in the mornings and evenings so your child is prepared for the school day ahead
• Expect attendance to school every day
• Ensure your child arrives at school on time – not late
• Arrange dental and medical appointments outside school hours
• Always inform the school if your child is too unwell to attend school (this should be a rare occurrence)
• Take family holidays outside term time
• Talk to your child about school and take an interest in their school work, praise and reward their efforts, and their achievements at school
• Discuss any problems or difficulties with the school – staff are here to help, will be supportive and can help solve any problems you may have in getting your child to go to school.
Promoting Good Attendance
The foundation for good attendance is a strong partnership between the school, parents and the pupil. To support this focus we:
- Provide information about the importance of excellent attendance
- Report to you on how your child is performing in school and what their attendance and punctuality rate is.
- Celebrate good attendance and reward good or improving attendance
- Set attendance targets for year offices and tutor groups, and display them around school
- Set individual attendance targets for pupils to help them focus on improving their attendance.
The Attendance Team work alongside Tutors and the Year Offices to support pupils achieve excellent attendance, and consistently monitor pupils’ attendance and punctuality. If attendance falls below the expected levels, colleagues with an expertise in ‘attendance support’ work with the young person and their family.
A range of strategies are deployed to support improvements in attendance and include:
- In school support
- Home visits
- In school attendance panel
- Legal interventions (as outlined in Hampshire County Council’s code of conduct.)
If you need support or advice with attendance, please contact us at school – we are here to help and support.